Deadline: 1 March 2020
Open to: prospective leaders working in the field of climate protection or climate-related resource conservation who are from non-European transition and developing countries
Benefits: EUR 2,170 or EUR 2,470 – monthly fellowship amount for fellows without a doctorate and EUR 2,670 for postdoctoral researchers
With the International Climate Protection Fellowships, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation enables prospective leaders in academia and industry to implement a research-based proposal in the field of climate protection or climate-related resource conservation during a one-year stay in Germany.
The programme seeks to achieve its objectives by fostering prospective leaders with undertakings and projects to combat climate change, how to develop and implement adaptation strategies, to preserve ecosystems and biodiversity and to foster the sustainable use of the oceans and seas. Furthermore, it addresses sustainability topics relating to natural resources, resource-efficient consumption and urban development.
- First university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent), completed less than 12 years previously, counting back from the end of the application period (1 March 2020);
- Leadership skills demonstrated by initial experience in leadership positions and/or appropriate references;
- Extensive work experience(at least 48 months at the time of application) or a successfully completed doctorate in the field of climate protection or climate-related resource conservation;
- Scientific publications(for postdoctoral applicants) in peer-reviewed journals according to international standards;
- A detailed statement by a host in Germany, including a mentoring agreement; details of the proposal must be discussed with the prospective host prior to application;
- Citizenship of a non-European transition or developing country (see list of countries) which is also the applicant’s habitual residence and place of work;
- Very good knowledge of English and/or German, documented by appropriate language certificates;
- Two expert references by individuals qualified to comment on the candidate’s professional, personal and, if applicable, academic eligibility as well as his/her leadership potential.
The fellowship contains various benefits such as:
- Allowance for research costs amounting to EUR 800 per month for research-based proposals in the natural and engineering sciences and EUR 500 for proposals in the humanities and social sciences;
- Language fellowship for a one- to a two-month intensive German language course in Germany immediately prior to the fellowship
- Europe allowance for a maximum of one to two months spent researching at an institution in another European country during the fellowship provided that this is necessary to carry out the research-based project in question;
- Family allowances for visits by family members staying at least three months (up to EUR 346 per month for the marital partner and up to EUR 274 EUR per month for each child);
- Allowances for single parents accompanied by children under the age of 18 who are staying at least three months (€400 per month for the first child, €100 per month for every additional child);
- Extension of the fellowship up to three months if children under the age of 12 accompany the fellow to Germany;
- Extensive alumni funding after successfully completing the initial stay in Germany, especially support for networking with collaborative partners in Germany during the fellow’s entire career.
How to apply?
Applications can only be submitted online. The completed application form, including the necessary additional documents, must be submitted not later than 1 March 2020. After reviewing the applications, an independent selection committee will decide, by early July, which candidates will be invited to participate in a selection meeting in Germany lasting several days.
Visit the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation’s website for further information on the online application process and all necessary documents as well as access to the online application system. A confirmation of receipt will be issued immediately after the application has been submitted.
For more information click here.