Deadline: 15 May 2019
Open to: anybody from anywhere in the world
Award: 2500 USD in total prizes
The Raymond Carver Short Story Contest is one of the most renowned fiction contests in the world. Featuring prominent guest judges and offering USD 2500 across five prizes, the contest delivers exciting new fiction from writers all over the world. The contest opens each year April 1 – May 15 and prizewinners are published in our annual fall issue in October.
- Entry Fees: USD 17 online / USD 15 mailed, per story. No limit to the number of stories;
- Accept entries from anywhere in the world, but the story must be in English;
- No genre fiction (romance, horror, sci-fi); literary fiction only;
- The story must be previously unpublished (including online);
- Max word count: 10,000;
- Consider all stories without any of the author’s identifying information;
- Winners of the past two Raymond Carver and Prose & Poetry contests are ineligible;
- Submitting online: no cover page or author info in the document;
- Submitting by mail: include USD 15 check or money order payable to Carve Magazine with a cover page that includes the story title, name, address, phone, email, and word count. Send to: Carve Magazine | Raymond Carver Contest | PO Box 701510 | Dallas, TX 75370.
- Prizes: USD 1500 (1st), USD 500 (2nd), USD 250 (3rd), and two USD 125 (Editor’s Choice);
- Winning stories will be read by three literary agents;
- Honorable mentions and semifinalists will be listed online for up to 6 months.
How to apply?
In order to apply, please click here.
For more information, please visit the official web page.